Utility Associate - Pallet Jack (Ferrara Candy 31st st)Manufacturing and LogisticsFerrara Candy Company
Ferrara Candy Company
About Skills for Chicagoland's Future
At Ferrara, we’re shaping the future of the non-chocolate confection industry and delivering lots of goodness in the process. Sound like the kind of career you could sink your teeth into? We’d love to hear from you.
About Skills for Chicagoland’s Future
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers with employers that are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland’s Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is your advocate with the hiring company throughout the hiring process. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills’ Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. Additionally, Skills is free for job seekers.
Hiring Company (Ferrara Candy)
Ferrara Candy Company is a leading American manufacturer of non-chocolate confectionery, including gummies, chews and hard candy, with US $1 billion in annual sales in 2016. Headquartered in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, the company is privately owned by Catterton Partners. Ferrara's brand portfolio includes more than 15 brands, including Lemonheads, Trolli and the first USDA certified Black Forest Organic. The company also produces private label confections.
The Utility Associate is responsible for moving stack of fresh products from trays and entering stacks into moguls by use of the electric hand pallet jack. This position works on the processing side of the plant.
Ways You Will Make a Difference:
Reporting to the Production Supervisor, the Material Handler is responsible for:
- Moving trays of fresh product or cured product around the mogul area
- Use hand pallet jack to move trays either onto stacks or removing from stacks
- Responsible for transporting cured product into cool room
- Extreme attention to detail is required to move these stacks carefully and efficiently and to ensure that stacks do not tip over
- Recognizes, addresses, and escalates all quality issues; communicates issues and problems to Supervisor and rest of team
- Follows safety regulations and maintains compliance of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), food safety requirements and regulations, and company policies
- Perform other duties as needed
Experiences That Will Support Your Success
Physical Activity required of the position:
- Stooping: bending body downward and forward, bending spine at waist
- Kneeling: bending legs at knee to come to rest on knee or knees
- Crouching: bending body downward and forward by bending leg and spine
- Reaching: extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
- Standing: particularly for sustained periods of time
- Walking: moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances
- Lifting: raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. (Min 2 / Max 35 lbs.)
- Talking: expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word
- Carrying: to move while supporting various items (ex: packages)
- Occasionally exerting up to 50 pound of force
- Worker subject to inside environmental conditions: (dust, odors) protection from weather conditions; not necessarily from temperature changes.
- Worker subject to fluctuation of temperatures for periods of more than one hour.
- Worker subject to noise: there is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Worker subject to hazards: includes a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, or exposure to chemicals.
Skills That Will Make You Successful?
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 6+ months experience in similar setting
- Ability to comprehend and communicate in English
- Basic math skills and ability to use a calculator
- General Knowledge of computers
- Excellent attendance record
- Must be able to operate electric or manual pallet jacks and forklift
Ferrara Candy Company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
The stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by incumbents in this position. This description of duties is not intended to be all-inclusive or to limit management discretion to assign other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, employment decisions and opportunities at Ferrara will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital or civil union status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, military or veteran status, disability, handicap, genetic information, pregnancy (childbirth or related medical condition), or on any other basis prohibited by law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.