Swedish Hospital - Scheduling and Referral Call Center - Coordinator (Chicago, IL)HealthcareNorthShore University Health System
NorthShore University Health System
About Skills for Chicagoland's Future
Provides scheduling and determines need for medical triage for patients needing appointments or other services for Family Medicine, Internal Medicine or Pediatrics in the Swedish Covenant Medical Group at the Foster Medical Pavilion location. Verifies demographic information, insurance benefits and eligibility in order to ensure appropriate reimbursement for services. Refers patients to Biller to make arrangements and informs patients of financial assistance procedures as appropriate. Provides initial determination of those patients who require medical triage services and transfers calls appropriately. Provides outstanding customer service and satisfaction ensuring all patients feel welcome at SCH and in the Swedish Covenant Medical Group. Enables easy, convenient access to the services they need in a friendly, efficient and timely manner. Functions within the Swedish Covenant Medical Group Call Center at the Foster Medical Pavilion as part of a team to provide superior service and satisfaction to all internal and external customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities listed below are representative of the position and are not all-inclusive.
Demonstrates a commitment to the mission of Swedish Covenant Hospital and the Swedish Covenant Medical Group by demonstrating a customer service orientation and adheres to all responsibilities and standards of the hospital and Medical Group.
- Follows the AIDET model by consistently demonstrating professional and customer service focused behavior at all times, including manner of communication, responsibility and appearance.
- Answers high volume of incoming calls promptly, courteously, and in a caring friendly manner, ensuring outstanding customer service at all times.
- Accurately, appropriately and efficiently schedules appointments for multiple offices within the Foster Medical Pavilion’s SCMG groups and adheres to specific department guidelines and protocols, ensuring service excellence at all times.
- Responsible for entering appropriate diagnoses and ICD-9 codes in compliance with Local Medical Review Policies.
- Gathers complete and accurate patient type, demographic and billing information. Pre-registers patients in a timely and efficient manner.
- Advises patient of any insurance authorization and referral requirements and ensures timely transfer of registration information to ensure financial clearance and appropriate reimbursement.
- Advises patients of the collections policy and explains payments, deposits and co-pays. Directs patient to the SCMG Biller when necessary.
- Assists and supports new employees to make them aware of department policies and procedures, while emphasizing excellent quality and customer service excellence.
- Attends meetings regarding community, hospital and SCMG events and classes.
- Responsible for generating reports/letters in an accurate, efficient and timely manner.
- Maintains accurate physician data for new doctors on staff, insurance information and other updates in the computer system. Maintains paper files and binders up to date as a back-up for computer down time, so that referrals can be done manually.
- Performs other duties as requested by the Call Center Manager.
ALLOWABLE ACCESS TO PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
- Patient Name and Demographic information
- Financial information
- Ability to View Patient's Record
NOTE: Computer system access is assigned based on Manager’s access level request and on the minimum necessary as described in this job description. Approval for level of access is given by the system administrator or Manager of the department that has ownership of system/module. See Computer System Access controls policy.
Education & Experience
- High School graduate; prefer two or more years of health-related college course work.
- Minimum one year experience in hospital admissions, hospital department scheduling, or in physician office scheduling.
Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent phone voice – proper grammar, diction
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy & physiology and coding.
- Knowledge of clinical office or department general policies and practices.
- Keyboarding at 45wpm.
- Meditech experience a plus.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point), intranet/internet, and web-based portal functionality.
- Knowledge of Medicare, Public Aid, and managed care payment and reimbursement requirements.
- Ability to prioritize and organize tasks, and to maintain flexibility in response to constantly changing demands
- Ability to concentrate and remain composed in a busy, distracting office environment in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to interact positively and effectively with multiple departments.
- Ability to use good judgment and utilize independent decision-making skills to effectively problem solve, resolve issues and facilitate department efficiency and productivity.
- Ability to prioritize and organize tasks and to maintain flexibility in response to constantly changing demands.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACT
- Patients and patient family members
- Physicians and Physicians Office Staff
- Swedish Covenant Medical Group employees
- Ancillary departments
- Switchboard staff
- Medical Records
- Ability to safely lift and move up to 50 pounds
- 60% sitting
- 20% standing
- 20% walking
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel to classify.
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Enthusiastic: Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
Growth Opportunities: Inspired to perform well by the chance to take on more responsibility
High School or better.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)